Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hey Jim, Can You Loan me $1500 'til My Case Settles?

Brother, can you spare a dime? That's how the old saw goes, and not a month goes by without one of my clients calling, and they "hate to ask, but" look for a loanbfrom me against their comp settlement.

I feel bad for most of my clients. I truly do, and it is hard sometimes for me to say no. But I do.

I explain, as best as I can, that the Rules of Professional Responsibility prohibit me (thank goodness) from loaning my clients money. I always add the postscript that if I lose my license to practice law, I am of no use to them at all.

There are a number of firms out there now that will loan money against a WC settlement. In most cases, I try and steer my clients away from these outfits as I find heir rates usurious. But occasionally, suc a loan is a necessary evil.

I do my best to get to know my clients on a personal level. I like it that way. If I think they need the money, and understand the ramifications of these settlement loans, then after discussing it with the individual, Imake it happen. Most of the time it works.

No matter what, though, I can't loan you a dime (or $1500.00)

No comments: